Sunday, June 26, 2011

Changes

I haven't been writing much at all lately.  To be perfectly honest, things have been changing rapidly in the last few weeks.

I'm happier, for one thing.  I have motivation once again to get things done,  and I can take satisfaction in my work, something that seems pretty novel after months of deep depression.
I'm on good terms with my family, and I'm open about how I feel about religion.  I am actually trying to be friendly at church... if I'm going to remain more or less active for my wife's sake, I guess I'd better start learning to be comfortable in the community.

My political views have been evolving as well.  I have actually been thinking a lot about libertarianism and the role of government lately... something I have avoided doing out of sheer horror at the obnoxiously-uninformed rhetoric of the teabaggers.  Not that I'm becoming libertarian, but I feel that it's healthy to seriously consider views other than those I've become accustomed to holding.
To be perfectly honest, I've actually become more pessimistic, politically.  I don't feel like there is anything that can be done at this point to save our civilization... our society is consuming resources and energy at ever-higher rates despite the decreasing cost-effectiveness of all of our resource-gathering operations.  But I suppose all civilizations must fall.
I may write more about all this later... I'm still considering a lot of things.


I have been taken by surprise at how quickly things seem to change.  I'm almost afraid of the feelings of hope and contentedness that I have recently begun to experience... like I can't trust them.  Maybe I can't, maybe life sucks and I'm only in denial if I feel otherwise.  I'm still not convinced that life can have any meaning... but at least I'm enjoying it a little, now.  Perhaps what I'm most afraid of is a loss of objectivity... I have no desire to simply become caught-up in my own affairs to the point at which I'm not thinking constantly and thoroughly about the state of the world around me.
I'm still not completely convinced that a healthy mind is a sane mind.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes we must lose our mind to gain it.

    ReplyDelete